Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thought, since I have a little down time, I'd explain a little about what it is that I am transporting.  When I say that I have a wind energy hub most of you have no idea what that is. 

I'm sure you have seen or heard about the wind energy "wind mills" that are popping up all over the country. 


Most of these produce about 1.5 megawatts of electricity or enough electricity to supply 400 homes for a year.  It costs, roughly, 3 million dollars for each wind turbine.  A minimum of 8 trucks, most of which are oversize requiring expensive permits, are used to transport the various sections of the turbine to the site.  Most turbines are about 394 feet tall or the height of a 40 story building.

The section I have been transporting is called the "hub". 


It's 57,300 pounds and manufactured in a GE plant in Pensacola, Florida. It is the section that the blades attach to and controlls the pitch of the blades. The nose cone is seperate and not part of the hub.


Hope that helps you all understand a bit about this stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool!!! Thanks for wind turbine lesson!

    ReplyDelete