Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saw on the weather reports that there was some bad weather heading my way. Looked like I would only catch a small piece of it because it was going east and I am going west.  Even so, I wanted to get ahead of it as much as possible.  I got an early start this morning from Oak Grove, MO - that's 30 miles east of Kansas City.  Started off it was 47 degrees, not bad!  While north on I-29 north of Kansas City I hit rain.  Then the temp. started to go down.  Here it comes!!  The rain stopped for a while.  Then when I started west in Nebraska it got really cold.  Started to snow and the wind picked up.  On I-80 west of Lincoln, NE the wind was blowing straight down from the north at about 40 to 50 MPH with much higher gusts.  Worst cross wind I have been in so far.  The truck was blowing all over the road.  Snow came down a lot harder too, but it was blowing sideways.  the temp. had dropped to 12 degrees.  Passed a truck that didn't handle the wind too well.



Here is a video of that.  In the video you can hear the wind blowing the truck and the gusts hitting the truck.  When I pass the truck on it's side you can hear when I took the still photo and also another truck driver making a comment on the CB radio.




After about 100 miles I drove out of the snow.  The wind calmed down some too.  Still blew pretty hard and made the rest of the drive a challenge.  By the time I stopped for the weekend in Big Springs, Nebraska the sun was out.  Still windy and cold though.  I finally broke down and bought a real winter coat.  It was on sale for $34.  Make my first delivery in Colorado about an hour from here Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment