Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tuesday, may 28, 2013

Left Wheeling, WV at 9 am.  Was a pretty uneventful day until I got to Baltimore.  As I drove on to I-95 from I-695 I saw a HUGE column of smoke.  Snapped a quick photo of it.


As I continued south on I-95 it got closer.  When I crossed the railroad overpass I looked to my left and saw a train stopped and totally engulfed in smoke.  Couldn't tell anything else because there was so much smoke.  As I kept going I saw LOTS of fire equipment responding.  I continued on in to the Port of Baltimore in Dundalk, MD and delivered the tractor.  That is where I found out that a train had derailed and that they were closing down the roads.   The next two photos I got from the internet.



After I delivered, I drove over to the Daily yard in Baltimore to spend the night there.  I reload there in the morning.

Here is a photo, courtesy of Google Maps, of the area of the train derailment.


Here is a link to some raw video footage of the incident that was shot from a helicopter shortly after it happened.


15 train cars derailed as a result of the train striking a garbage truck.  Two of the train cars were on fire.  The driver of the truck was transported to Shock Trauma in Baltimore in serious condition.  No other injuries.  No fatalities, (yet).  


No comments:

Post a Comment