Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Had a little snow overnight.


Left at about 5 am and drove to Darien, WI and loaded a large generator in an enclosure that is going to Hummelstown, PA.  




I'm stretched out about 10 feet for this load.  Once my pole car arrived, we left.  The route through Wisconsin wasn't too bad at all.  The route through Illinois is a different story.  Lots of low hanging trees and at least 6 power lines the I would have hit if I didn't have a pole car.  We were doing great avoiding everything until Streamwood, Illinois.  There was a power line that was a bit too low.  My pole car hollered that he hit it.  But because we were in a city and had just left a traffic light, I didn't have enough time to stop.  I clipped the power line.  When I did so, the line popped up as I passed under it.  When the line went up it arced and blew the power out to the area.  The line, much to my surprise, did not come down.  Of course we stopped.  While I was on the phone with 911, a cop pulled up. I explained everything to him and he got everything started.  They shut down the road.  It was 4 lanes plus a center turn lane.  The fire department came and then the power company came.  Everyone got there pretty quick.  The power company said that the line had been hanging low for a while.  The cop said another truck hit it last week.  Everyone said that it was not my fault at all.  



There was absolutely no damage to my load at all.  While the fire department was there, they brought a ladder truck, they went up and photographed the roof of my load for me.  No damage at all.  Got very lucky!!!!!

After all that was done, we left and continued on our merry way.  Stopped for the night at the Petro truck stop in Rochelle, Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment